Prepare to be wowed by Fields Spring State Park! Nestled in the folds of the Blue mountains, this Southeast Washington frontier has some of the state’s most spectacular scenery.
Known to most travelers as an Oregon destination, the Blue Mountains span 4,000 square miles, including seven northeastern Oregon and three southeastern Washington counties.
The park’s unique accommodations include two eight-person teepees and a 20-person loft in a lodge with a fireplace. The large Puffer Butte Lodge at 4,000 feet stands at the north end of Hells Canyon, the Grand Ronde River and the Wallowa mountain range, while the smaller Wohelo Lodge borders a sledding and tubing hill and miles of hiking and bike trails.
Puffer Butte and its surroundings blossom with color year round, from the wildflower-sprinkled hills of spring to the russet and sapphire mountains of summer. Winter brings powder and sparkles, delighting snowshoers and cross-country skiers.
Between the park, its neighboring scenic drives and Grand Ronde River swim spots, you won’t need outside entertainment on your Fields Spring vacation. The area will keep you busy and awestruck for the length of your stay and beyond.
Fields Spring State Park is an 826-acre, forested camping park in the Blue mountains of southeastern Washington. The park is open year round.
The park has 20 tent spaces, all of which are suitable for tents or RVs. The park also provides one dump station, two restrooms (one ADA), and two showers. One kitchen shelter with electricity and a wood stove are in the campground vicinity. Maximum site length is 30 feet (limited availability).
Two teepees sleep up to eight each and are available from June 15 through Labor Day.
The Tamarack Cabin sleeps up to four guests and can be reserved year round. The cabin features a full bathroom, mini-fridge, microwave and coffee pot.
Check-in time is 2:30 p.m.
Check-out time is 1 p.m.
Reservations & fees Reservations can be made online or by calling (888) CAMPOUT or (888) 226-7688. For fee information, visit our camping rates page.
Wohelo lodge at Fields Spring offers accommodations for up to 20 persons. For more details and reservation information, visit the Wohelo Retreat Center page.
Fields Spring State Park lies within the traditional territory of the Nez Perce and is most closely associated with their Anatone band, the namesake of the small unincorporated community near the park.
The first Euro-American settler within the boundaries of the present-day park is believed to have been Civil War veteran Alan J. Puffer, who reportedly came to the area in 1877. The Puffers were apparently squatters who never formally claimed or acquired land in the area. Puffer Butte, a prominent viewpoint in the park, bears their name.
Benjamin J. Fields, the park’s namesake, settled in in the Anatone area in 1881. Fields grazed cattle in the present-day parklands, which were set aside as state-owned School Grant land in 1889. The cattle drank from a large spring that would eventually become known as Fields’ Spring.
Locals began using the area as an informal park in the 1920s. In the summer of 1929, members of the Isaac Walton League of Asotin County, a local chapter of the national conservation group, built the park’s first structures and began planning for future development. On Oct. 2, 1930, the chairman of the State Parks Committee, who was also the State Land Commissioner, set aside the park’s first parcel of land.
The committee had no funds to assist with park development, however, and local volunteer efforts and private donations made continued improvements possible through the early 1930s. As one example, Wohelo Lodge was built for the Campfire Girls with assistance from a local Kiwanis Club.
The park’s first caretaker, Clarence C. Butler was hired in 1933 and spent 18 years at Fields Spring. He oversaw park projects completed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), an agency established as part of President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal during the Great Depression, from 1934 to 1937, which employed millions or unemployed workers.
In 1950, two years after Butler retired, 10 local organizations and service clubs began looking to Fields Spring for year-round group camping. With support from the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission, the groups formed the Fields Spring State Park Camping Association, Inc. to assist with the development of what would eventually become known as Puffer Butte Camp. In 1955, a lodge-dining hall and two small cabins were completed, and additional accommodations were added in subsequent years.