James Island Marine State Park sits low on the horizon, small and unassuming next to its neighbors in the San Juan archipelago. This tiny marine state park, accessible only by boat, may be the ideal retreat.
Remote as it seems, James Island is not to be missed. Featuring emerald coves, forested trails, spectacular views and an isthmus with two white sand beaches, the park offers only 13 primitive campsites – three for travelers arriving by human- or wind-powered watercraft and 10 sites clustered in two areas on opposite sides of the isle, and moorage is available on both sides.
You’ve worked hard to get here. Now it is time to relax and experience the lightly touched beauty of this watery paradise.
Moorage fees are charged year round from 1:00 PM to 8:00 AM on a first come, first served basis. All boaters must self-register and pay required fees upon arrival. Boaters must also pay for boats rafted to another boat. Boaters need to obey rafting limits posted on mooring buoys.
West Cove has a dock with a 128-foot moorage float (256 linear feet). Dock removal begins in October and installation begins the end of March. All floats will be installed no later than May 1. No boats more than 45-feet are permitted on buoys. Please observe rafting limits posted on each buoy.
Salmon and bottom fishing is good in waters adjacent to James Island State Park.
James Island was named by the American explorer and naval officer, Commander Charles Wilkes, during the United States Exploring Expedition in 1841. The island was named for Reuben James, a U.S. sailor who saved the life of naval officer Stephen Decatur—the namesake of nearby Decatur Island—during a battle with Tripoli in North Africa.
In 1875, the federal government set the island aside as a lighthouse reservation. No lighthouse was ever built on the island, however. The property was transferred to the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission in 1964 and officially named James Island State Park in 1974.