Public records requests
A public record request can be made to the Washington State Parks Records Office. To request records, please complete and send in a Request for Public Record form (PDF). You may email the parks office the completed form, or mail it to:
Washington State Parks
Public Records Request
P.O. Box 42650
Olympia, WA 98504-2650
Release of/access to many types of lists which may be used for commercial purposes is prohibited by the Public Records Act (RCW 42.56.070).
Some information may be redacted or exempted from records, including:
- Personal information (i.e., child information, personal information of public employees, contact information);
- Health information;
- Deliberative process information and drafts (i.e., preliminary drafts or recommendations, notes and intra-agency communication if they pertain to the agency’s deliberative process and show the exchange of opinions within the agency before it reaches a final decision or takes action);
- Attorney-client privileged communications;
- Financial information (i.e., banking and financial information, social security numbers, taxpayer identification numbers, driver license numbers); and
- Public employee records (i.e., active investigations, employee performance evaluations where there is no discussion of specific incidents of misconduct, applicant information, test and exam questions.
A full list of exemptions can be found in the Public Records Act.
Typically, when records content is redacted, the information will be removed and the document will be marked with the applicable statutory information. If the entire document is exempted, the requester will be provided with only a description of the document.
The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission uses the default fee schedule from the Public Records Act to recover actual costs of provided records. Payment is required before records are provided.
|Charge||Type/size of record|
|$.15||Per page for photocopies or printed copies.|
|$.10||Per page for copies converted into an electronic format.|
|$.05||Per each four electronic files or attachments uploaded to an e-mail or other electronic delivery method.|
|$.10||Per gigabyte for electronic files provided in an electronic format.|
|Actual cost||Per any digital storage device such as a compact disc, digital video disc, universal serial bus flash drive, etc.|