Special Activities Permit
Washington State Parks is a great place to hold many activities including company picnics, community festivals or events, scouting events, and organized recreational events such as adventure races and fun runs. These activities are referred to as “Special Activities” and require a permit to guarantee staffing and safety of both your group and the park.
Special activities are:
- Limited timeframe meaning not lasting more than a couple of days.
- Occur no more than three (3) times a year
- Might need special planning and review
- Might need additional agency, state, or local permitting
- Likely to have some impact on staff, other visitors, or park resources
To apply for a Special Activity Permit (PDF) please complete the application and send it to the contact at the park where the activity will happen. See the park contact list (PDF) for park address, emails, and phone numbers.
Applying for a Special Activity Permit
- Fill out, print, sign, and date the Special Activity Permit Application (PDF).
- Include a copy of a park map indicating the location of the activity. Find a parks map .
- Include payment, $45 application fee, additional fees will be assessed. See fee schedule.
- Applicants must provide proof of insurance listing the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission as “ADDITIONALLY INSURED” for a minimum of $1,000,000 for the period of the requested activity, additional insurance or bonds may be required.
Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
P.O. Box 42650
Olympia, WA 98504-2650
Submit application at least sixty (60) days in advance to allow for review, consultation with local governments, public notice, SEPA review requirements, and required agency preparations.
Please prepare to communicate regularly with Washington State Parks staff to ensure successful completion of application.
If you intend to serve or sell alcohol refer to the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (LCB) requirements.
If your activity includes the selling of merchandise or items or includes third party concessionaires or vendors an additional permit and application fee will be will be required for each. See Commercial Use Permit / Temporary Vendor Permit.
If your activity includes professional filming or still photography the photographer is required to have a film permit. See Filming and Photography Permits.
If your Special Activity Permit covers multiple parks or will occur more than 3 times within a year please contact a Region office for more information, see Region Office contact information below.
Application fee includes the basic environmental review. Additional review fees may apply.
Eastern Region Office
270 Ninth Street NE
East Wenatchee, WA 98802
Phone: (509) 665-4319
Email the Eastern Region Office